2023 US-Taiwan Business Council Delegation to Taiwan
February 8-10, 2023, Council Chairman Emeritus Paul Wolfowitz traveled to Taiwan together with President Rupert Hammond-Chambers, members of the Council’s Board of Directors, and a large delegation of U.S. company representatives.This delegation represents the first opportunity to visit with important Taiwan government and business leaders since the beginning of the pandemic in 2020, and offers USTBC member companies the opportunity to speak with political and business leaders to discuss bilateral relations and U.S.-Taiwan economic ties. Issues discussed during high-level meetings with Taiwan government officials and business leaders included:
- The status of U.S.-Taiwan bilateral political and business relations.
- Taiwan’s trade and economic policy priorities
- Progress on the Initiative on 21th Century Trade and other bilateral trade talks
- Potential for a U.S.-Taiwan Bilateral Trade Agreement
- Economic development initiatives undertaken by the Taiwan government
- Cross-strait trade and the future of Taiwan-China relations
- Taiwan’s defense and national security challenges
During the trip, Dr. Wolfowitz was conferred the Order of Brilliant Star with Grand Cordon. This prestigious civilian award was bestowed upon Dr. Wolfowitz by Taiwan President Tsai Ing-wen in a ceremony at the Presidential Office Building in Taipei.
The Council looks forward to continuing our work to promote and improve bilateral trade and business relations between the United States and Taiwan.